Trinity Presbyterian Church was organized first as Central Presbyterian Church in downtown Montgomery in July 1891. It was formed by a small group of members from First Presbyterian Church who believed that the growing city needed a second Presbyterian Church. In 1893, the sanctuary at Lawrence and Washington Streets in downtown Montgomery was completed. Over the next sixteen years the Church grew from 32 to over 400 members and became known as a place "where the Holy Spirit abode and where strangers were made to feel at home." In 1909, the Church moved from its downtown location to the rapidly growing Garden District south of the downtown area. A new sanctuary was completed on the corner of Hull Street and Felder Avenue in March 1913. The name of the Church was changed to Trinity Presbyterian Church to underscore the central Christian doctrine of the triune nature of God.
Trinity continued to grow in membership, size, and grace over the following decades. In 1951, the Church and city were shaken when the Sanctuary burned. Two firemen were killed during the blaze. Much of the original structure was saved, however, and the Church quickly rebuilt the Sanctuary, employing the Georgian style of architecture. The Church took an active role in the expansion of God's kingdom outside its own walls with the planting of five Churches, the start of Trinity Presbyterian School in 1970, and the establishment of several local ministries. Trinity Church has stood for more than a century for the foundational Christian tenet that the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are the very Word of God, all therein being verbally inspired by Almighty God and therefore without error. Its overarching commitment to evangelical truth stated in the doctrines of the Protestant Reformation compelled the congregation to change its affiliation in 1973 to the Presbyterian Church in America. Trinity Church continues as a leading congregation in that denomination.
We invite you to come and worship with us. Trinity's future is bright and we would love for you to join our fellowship as we follow our Lord together in our common calling.